Sunday, September 30, 2007

It Hurts (Five Leaf Clover)

A little background story to Rhymes and Rachel. =)
Written by Yiling.




“There,” I said, peering over the entrance of the cafeteria. “Sitting at the far table in the middle.”

It was my first day at school and already, I had found some eye candy. He wasn’t particularly good looking nor was he tall. He had bangs that stopped right about his eyes, yellow shirt, a white toque, and a small silver cross to top it all off; but that did not stop him from catching my attention.

For the next couple of days, he completely took over my mind. Every song that I hear, every love avatar that I see would remind me of him. I always checked out what clothes he wore, what he ate for lunch, what card games he played with his friends at lunch… but it wasn’t enough.

“If you really like him that much Honey, just go talk to him,” she said. She fiddled with the grass and tied her shoelace.

“But… I CAN’T! I’ve never spoken a word to him… plus, he’s probably catching on,” I said, adjusting my shirt over a nearby patch of clovers. “Damn, why does this school have shitty gym uniforms?”

“Girl, exactly. He doesn’t even know you’re alive and you’ve never talked to him. So how can you say you like him?” she replied.

I looked away, denying the fact. No, it couldn’t be true. Secretly, deep inside, he knew who I was. Even though we never talked, it doesn’t mean we couldn’t fall in love. Isn’t that what love at first sight is? He must be the one.

“Which means, after you talk to him, the chance of you being with him will go up a few percentages and it’ll be good on your soul to talk to some boy you’ve been obsessing over for the past few days,” she scoffed. “Then say that you like him and it’ll be true.”

“You know what, if I manage to find a four leaf clover by the end of this period, then sure. I will talk to him.” I said, walking behind the white line. She followed me and started to do our daily Phys. Ed. warm-ups; running back and forth from white line to white line, ending up where we started again over and over. The whole time all that ran through my mind was this four leaf clover. By the end of the period, if I found the four leaf clover, it will be a sign from god to speak to him. A sign.

Luckily, we were learning soccer, giving us plenty of time to sit off to the side. Desperately, I started searching the ground. There must a clover here. There must be. I’ve got the whole two fields to search. After two rounds of sitting out, I was struck with fear, panic, and disappointment. Could all that I pictured in my mind, just turn out to be a fragment of my imagination? But then… I saw it. A four leaf clover.

Picking it up, I examined it to make sure that it wasn’t a three leaf clover with one ripped leaf or simply, another type of plant. I looked closer and closer, until I realized… this wasn’t JUST a four leaf clover, it was a FIVE leaf clover.

I rushed up to her. “OH MY GOD. You know how I said I would talk to him if I found a four leaf clover?”

“YEAH… did you … FIND ONE?”

“No… but I found a five leaf clover.”

She shook her head in shame as if the answer was right in front of me. “That means, you’re going to talk to him and even more will happen after that! So don’t be afraid. Take a chance.”

No sooner had we gone back inside the school to change and get ready for lunch. This would be my chance to speak to him. I situated myself in front of the mirror and brushed through my hair with my fingers a few time and sprayed on a little perfume. Yes. This is the moment.

I held my head up high and adjusted my backpack as I walked confidently into the cafeteria. I froze. His smile, his eyes, his laughter, they crushed me as if without them, I was nothing. Then suddenly, his eyes locked onto mine and frowning a little, he got up from his seat and headed towards me. I wanted to run away, but my legs felt too weak. All I do was try to go through my thoughts to think of what to say.

His pace slowed as he approached me and eventually stopped when he was almost on top of me. I opened my mouth to say hi, but I was interrupted by a terrible sound… the sound of his voice.

“Stop looking at me. Stop following me. Stop acting like you know me.”

Embarrassed, I ran out of the cafeteria.
"Stupid clover! Stupid...me..."

I turned the corner and smacked right into someone from my English class.
He nearly fell over catching me.

"Whoa, slow down there." He stood me back up.

"Sorry..."

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied, wiping my eyes.
His grey eyes widened, noticing the clover I held in my hand. Fascinated, he asked me if it was a four leaf clover, but I showed him what the really was. He grew even more interested in the clover and politely asked if he could see it. I placed it in his hands and was half examining it, half playing around with it.

"Did you know that five leaf clovers are a symbol for bad luck?"
I shook my head in reply. He gave back the clover; I was going to throw it out.

He stopped my arm.
"Wait..."

He simply plucked one of the leaves from the clover and tossed it aside.
"There, now it's good luck," he smirked.

"Really?"

Then he kissed me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home